OPEN ENROLLMENT HEALTH INSURANCE INFORMATION
Open Enrollment is Nov. 1, 2023 – Jan. 15, 2024
Call 2-1-1 for free local enrollment assistance.
Why Do I Need Health Insurance?
Health insurance is important, it can protect you from expensive medical bills and help you live healthier – see doctors, get medications, and go to the hospital if you’re seriously sick.
When you have health insurance and you need medical care or medicine, you won’t have to pay the true cost of care. The money will come from the plan that you have been paying into.
Health insurance covers the costs of:
- Medical services and procedures,
- Hospital care, and
- Special equipment when you need it
Health insurance is also very important when you are sick. Most health insurance pays for immunizations (vaccines) and yearly check-ups for children and adults. It may also pay for health screenings, counseling, and more. Dental coverage is also available.
What is the Health Insurance Marketplace?
The Health Insurance Marketplace helps uninsured people enroll in health coverage.
At the Marketplace, you can find out if you qualify for:
- Private medical and dental insurance, with financial assistance available to make coverage more affordable. Plans cover essential health benefits, pre-existing conditions, and preventive care. Most people who apply through the Marketplace qualify for premium tax credits and savings on out-of-pocket costs based on household size and income.
- Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) provide free or low-cost coverage to millions of families with limited income.
Free enrollment assistance can help you decide which plan is best for you. Knowing these things will help you decide what kind of plan you should buy:
- Any medical conditions that you have now
- Any medicines that you take now
- The number of medical visits that you expect to have for the year
- Any medical procedures like surgery or therapy that you may need
- Names of providers who are signed up to work with the health insurance company
(all providers who have contracts with one insurance company are called a network)
SENDERO HEALTH PLANS
Central Health-owned Senderos the only locally based, nonprofit health plan available through the ACA marketplace.
Sendero is the only plan in Texas rated 4 stars by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and it may be the best option for you.